Refreshing Day 16 ~ Pause and Refocus

We started our walk just as the sun began to set. A cool and relaxing fall evening. 


As usual, Shadow will decide he wants to check something out. At other times, he wants to go ahead. Both situations call for the "wait" or "back" along with "look" command/signal. Then, "okay" and he's released to freely check things out or move ahead to continue on the walk with us.


Our relationship with him is established on love, trust, focus, and ongoing training. You see, he's a rehab rescue dog. He still has far to go before he can greet strangers or acquaintances. He gets over-excited and overwhelmed. The "wait" and "back" are commands that bring both Shadow and us to pause and refocus. He can catch his breath. "Look" gets his eyes to refocus on us.


Lately, I feel God lovingly doing the same for me. I love life. It's all an adventure. I'm one of those that wants to experience it all! 


I see what someone's doing over there. 
Something else on the other side looks exciting. 

Then, I hear God say, "Wait, Jeri. Back it up. Refocus on what I've already told you before. That's the journey I have you on." The hyperventilating stops, I catch my breath, and continue on with the awesome adventure He has me on. 


Have you been distracted by over-excitement and/or being overwhelmed?
How do you, or did you pause and refocus?



Soul Refreshment:


Psalm 23:1 ~



  • God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing. 



  • You have bedded me down in lush meadows, 



  • you find me quiet pools to drink from. 



  • True to your word, 
  • you let me catch my breath 



  • and 
  • send me in the right direction.



  • Psalm 34:18 ~

    If your heart is broken, you'll find God right there; 
    if you're kicked in the gut, he'll help you catch your breath.



    Click photo
    for more refreshing days




    Check out other 31 Dayers and their topics here