When You Are Just Plain Worn Out ~ Linger


The situation kept recurring. It had me frustrated and desperate for resolution. Despite faithful prayer and time with God there was no change. It seemed as if things were getting worse. It had been going on for so long that hopelessness was becoming my regular visitor.

I didn't want to give up, but I also had to face my desolate reality. There really was no way out, well,  in the earthly sense. I was in that place the psalmist describes in this verse:

"I'm tired of all this—so tired. My bed 
      has been floating forty days and nights
   On the flood of my tears.
      My mattress is soaked, soggy with tears." (Psalm 6:6 MSG)

Jeri's Day Retreat

For whatever reason, I kept praying, crying out to God, and being in His word. Journaling was my preferred form of talking to God. I didn't know at the time this was crucial. I didn't realize I was lingering with Him. I would pour onto those pages the words I couldn't say aloud. There were times I would hang on to a single verse for weeks and it would feed me, strengthen me, and help me stand again.

In those times, and many times since then, I found that I don't always get an answer or solution right away. The wonder I discovered is that in being with Him, I found a rest that I hadn't before. The peace would come slowly. It all began with first choosing to linger with Him, nibble on His word as I could, and let Him soothe me. His tender care nurtured my faith and trust in His love for me.

I came to discover a rest in knowing and believing that He would take care of it all. He would take care of me. It was okay that I couldn't do anything else, but lay there and cry with Him for awhile.

Just for you:

I know that you may feel drained, burnt, and worn. The days weave into each other with no pause for breathing between. 

You deserve to give your soul a retreat. Choose to sit with Him anyway. Tell Him what you're feeling, thinking, experiencing. He wants you to pour it all into His loving, capable hands.

Then, after all of that, simply rest and let Him tenderly care for you. It's your turn to discover that same amazing rest. 

Soul Refreshment:

Lamentations 3:57 ~ You came close when I called out.
                                                You said, "It's going to be all right."

Exodus 33:14 ~ The Lord replied, "My presence will go with you, 
                                   and I will give you rest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you've quietly slipped in to slip out - thank you more than you know. So glad to have you here.

"Reactions" buttons have been added above the comments. These keep you anonymous. Cool right?! Another fun and creative way to take part here.