A Long Weekend Off the Grid - Realize, Recreate, Relax

Our normally scheduled time off the grid is Sundays.


David realized on Thursday night that he had the upcoming Monday off! So, we planned an impromptu time off the grid. 


We let the family know of course.


Off the grid - no cell phones, house phone, computers, work, get-togethers, etc. 

For real! 

No twitter, facebook, blog, email. Nothing!


We just hung out and played board games. 

Put in new outdoor shades for the back deck. 








Got out of bed as slowly as possible, unless Shadow's fast-paced trotting called for emergency "gotta go's".  

Read together, prayed together, laughed together. 

Had time to talk about so much...time to breathe.

Soaked in the quieting


 Realized how much "activity" and "stuff" we can cut out of our lives.

 We took a slow walk and caught this awesome sunset.






Right now, I just feel slowed down and relaxed. 


We all need time off the grid. 
Even one hour can allow for refocus, relaxation, and recreation. 
It's what we choose to do with our time off the grid.






I notice the first thing I do is...
close my eyes
take a very deep breath in and out

then...

I focus on God's love for me and
let his quiet wash over me.
Hmm.





What do you or can you do to schedule time off the grid?





How would you invest that time into you?


3 comments:

Molly said...

Wow, this sounds like a wonderful thing to do! I'll have to talk to Mike about taking days like this when we can. I'd definitely be willing to give up all "grid" things for a day & we often do when we take our road trips. It's the most relaxing time we ever have! I love to read and take walks as well as play with Emma & Rowan.

The picture of you & Shadow resting in the chair is just so beautiful and the sunset pictures are gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Hi Molly! I'm always excited to read about your family road trips. Those are so cool.

We have much in common - reading, walks, playing with our furballs :D It's so relaxing to just hang with them. They do the funniest and silliest things!

David is picking up the camera more often and taking candids. He caught myself and Shadow sneaking a nap...ha ha. That was the best sunset yet!

Jenny said...

I must admit the very thought of this makes me feel a little panicked...at first. As I think about it more, I would really like to try this with my family one day soon.