Did Ya Know #3 (DYK): Safe & Unsafe Plastics


Did Ya Know? ... that there are "safe" and "unsafe" plastics? You can tell if a plastic container is safe by the number stamped on the bottom? #'s 2, 4 and 5 are primo and #1 is good for a single use (ex. bottle of water).


Now Ya Do
Check for the symbol on the bottom of your water bottles, storage containers, etc. How ya doin'? Share what you find to the comments/shoutouts.


Resources:
I googled "plastic recycling numbers" and read some good links @ planetgreen.discovery.com thedailygreen.com and ecovillagegreen.com. Also, some interesting info at more mainstream sites like wikipedia and snopes.

Remember ... 2, 4, 5... stay alive =0)

4 comments:

Jeri said...

Yikes! I found a 7. Well that's outta here. Great job Honey. :D

Jazz Siebert said...

Oh wow! Thanks sooo much for sharing... I can already tell im going to become obsessed with checking my bottles! haha.

Dave @GodsDreamsForMe said...

lol, crazy huh? in fact, i bought a set of the "premium" rubber maid storage containers only to find out they were stamped #7.

Donna, Champuru.net said...

Thanks for this info. Not all plastics are created equal! I am going to check all my plastics now. Thanks for sharing this important information! Sometimes I think companies are trying to kill us! :-/ geez.