How I Pictured It ~ Resting in His Light

Soul Refreshment:


Isaiah 9:2 ~ The people who walked in darkness 
   have seen a great light.


For those who lived in a land of deep shadows—
   light! sunbursts of light!



We've quietly begun to decorate. Well, David did most of the work hanging all those lights out front. Indoors, I've started to set out the candles.  This year it's cranberry scented candles.


Lights and candles are my favorite decorations. There's something about the glow and warmth. So calming. It gets me thinking on how Jesus brought light to so many dark places in my heart and in my life.


I always pictured the manger scene to be warm, serene, sweet and .... perfect. I had a preconceived notion about the decor and aura. 


But, I'm sure baby Jesus cried. I'm certain His parents, Mary and Joseph, tried to soothe him. I don't doubt that the animals made their normal sounds and did their normal "business". I can't help but wonder if the hay was even fresh or the stable cleaned out when they arrived. It seemed to be a crazy-busy time of year. I bet there wasn't much light in that stable or cave either.


Still, in the busyness, Jesus was born. That precious little baby our promise of hope. Hope to bring light to our darkness. Darkness of loss, mistreatment, divorce, loneliness, abandonment, sickness...


Still, over the animal noises, the wise men worshipped "The One" who arrived with hope. Hope for healing and a better future. Hope for wholeness. Hope for love.


Still more, even in the foul smell and mess, the most beautiful gift and greatest miracle of all was given. The beauty of His making "all things" right. The miracle of Him making "us" right.


In the darkness of that stable/cave, his birth shone brightly. The smiles on the faces of Mary, Joseph, and the wise men lit up the place. The angels singing to the shepherds lit up the field. That one lone star shined so bright it lit the way to hope for three men. It lights the way for each of us, even me.


When we let Jesus into our busy, messy, smelly, imperfect hearts - He makes miracles happen. It's His specialty --To slow flow and un-rush us, so we make memories of the everyday moments. To become the fragrance that fills our lives and we spread as we let him lead us in our day-to-day. To have our imperfect hearts made perfect by one selfless act.


All required of us is to simply say...
 "Yes, Jesus. I believe you give this gift to me and I receive it."





"Let him in to the mire and muck of our world. For only if we let him in can he pull us out." ~ Max Lucado






So thankful Bonnie has us thinking on these things this December


The quote comes from Max Lucado's book
(we're reading this right now)