The Ocean, The Land, and The Atmosphere is Ours...Together

Before I share with you the video link at the end of this blog, I wanted to give you a summary of my plant-based nutrition class and how amazing it is.  To clarify, plant-based is vegetables, fruits, legumes in their whole and natural state.  Animal-based is meat, poultry, pork, fish, egg, and dairy.  Now I truly believe that Earth Day should be practiced everyday.

I'm toward the end of a 3 part plant-based nutrition class at e-Cornell.  It is so much more than I thought it would be.  We not only learn about plant-based nutrition, but also about it's positive effects on the world environment in atmosphere, land, and ocean.  We've also learned how animal-based diets, in excess, effect other populations of the world, specifically 3rd world countries, by taking their own resources from them for profit.  I'm astounded by the amount of information that we're not made aware of that is publicly available... and... all the government studies that prove and disprove many nutritional and environmental issues but are not publicized.  There will be many other blogs to come that will cover all I learn in greater detail.

Dr. T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study is the developer of my nutrition program. I've had the privilege of being lectured by Dr's. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr. and John McDougall who are making huge progressions in the medical field just by changing their patients diets and seeing them get off medications and become free of heart disease and diabetes, Nutrition and Lifestyle practitioners, professors of ecology and oceanography, psychologists, and upcoming will be elite athlete Brendan Brazier, Author, medalled-vegan triathlete and creator of Vega Sports Nutrition. They share with us detailed tests and studies, videos, graphs, etc.

I finally gave in and decided to share at least this video with you provided by Bruce Monger, Professor of Oceanography at Cornell University. If you could only hear him lecture. He has such passion! He says that the ocean is ours, the land is ours, the atmosphere is ours. They have to ask our permission to do what they're doing (polluting and exploiting it). He further says that we should not stand by like helpless sheep and do nothing. Our assignment is to write letters to our representative and congressman. I'll post that later, but for now...

The people responsible for this 2007 video you are about to watch is Randy Olson and Brian Skerry (underwater photographer). See the effects of our diet choice on our oceans.

Global Fisheries Crisis - Sights and Sounds - National Geographic Magazine

2 comments:

Lindsay Wolf said...

Jeri - I am so happy that you posted this! My husband and I talk all the time about doing a course like this, so I am going to look into it now. Thank you for all you are doing to inform people about a plant-based diet! You are just blooming into a beautiful, eloquent, and passionate writer who I always love following. Have a beautiful day - thank you for all of your wonderful support, and keep up the good work! :)

Jeri said...

@ Lindsay I'm tearing. Words from your mentor cannot be matched. We'll have so much to talk about when you all take the class. Next year they will be introducing another course and Dr. Neal Barnard will be lecturing. Yay. I'll be listening to Brendan Braziers lecture today. You can also check out
http://www.tcolincampbell.org/courses-resources/courses/.
There are so many articles, videos, etc. When did we become activists?! Here we go....wooooooohoooooo!!!
Love you Lindsay.